Spanish Cod Fish Soup
|1/2 tsp saffron, crushed|
|1 cup hot water|
|2 tbs olive oil|
|1 onion, thinly sliced|
|1 clove garlic, finely minced|
|1 lb skinless codfish steaks, or filets, any bones removed|
|1 (16 oz) can plum tomatoes|
|1 cup bottled clam juice|
|1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
This classical Spanish soup is flavored with olive oil, tomato and saffron and enhanced with the tang of fresh orange.
- Soak the saffron in the hot water for 1/2 hour.
- In a deep heavy pot heat the olive oil, then saute the onion and garlic until just golden.
- Add the fish steaks and saute briefly on both sides
- Add the saffron water, tomatoes, clam juice, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer gently over low heat, covered for about 15-20 minutes or until the fish flakes easily.
- With a vegetable peeler, remove the orange part of the rind, leaving the pith behind.
- Cut the rind into julienne strips and add to the soup.
- Continue to simmer soup gently.
- Add the juice of the orange and simmer for another few minutes.