Turkey Sausage and Vegetable Stuffing
|1 lb day old bread, cut into small cubes|
|1 lb kale, stems removed, cut into 2-3 inch pieces|
|1 lb turkey sausage|
|2 tbs unsalted butter|
|1 small yellow onion, chopped|
|1 leek, white part only, chopped|
|4 cloves garlic, minced|
|1 lb parsnips, peeled and chopped into small pieces|
|1/2 lb shitake mushrooms (you can substitute button mushrooms)|
|2 tbs fresh sage, minced|
|2 tbs fresh thyme leaves, minced|
|3 cups chicken stock|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
This is one of our favorite holiday stuffing’s.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spread bread cubes in a single layer on a cookie sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Toast in the oven for 8-10 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from the oven and cool.
- Reduce the oven heat to 350 degrees.
- Place the kale in a large sauce pan, cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 1 minute, then remove to an ice bath for several minutes, then drain.
- Heat a large saute pan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat.
- Break sausage apart and add to the pan, crumbling more as it cooks.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Drain and set aside.
- Add butter to pan, and once melted, add the onion, leek, garlic and parsnips and saute for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add kale, mushrooms and herbs and saute for an additional minute.
- Add sausage and cook for an additional minute, then remove from heat.
- Combine bread cubes, mushroom mixture, chicken stock, salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Coat a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray, add stuffing, cover and bake for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.