Polish Sausage Stew
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 and 1/2 to 2 lbs cooked polish sausage, halved length wise then sliced
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 coves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup dry lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbs rice vinegar
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp caraway seed
- In a large stock pot heat the oil over medium heat.
- Cook the sausage, onion, mushrooms, pepper strips and garlic for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the chicken stock, cabbage, lentils, vinegar, brown sugar, then season with salt and pepper.
- Add the caraway seed, then bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium low, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the vegetables and lentils are tender.