Roasted Eggplant and Tomato Sandwiches
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced into 1 inch thick rounds(you may remove the skin if desired)
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 5 tbs extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup capers, drained
- 6 ciabatta rolls, split and toasted
- Grated Parmesan and or ricotta for serving
This is a delicious savory vegetarian sandwich adapted from Martha Stewarts Every Day Food.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Sprinkle eggplant with 2 tsps of salt, then place in a colander set over a bowl. Let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.
- Arrange eggplant in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Brush both sides with olive oil.
- Toss tomatoes in olive oil, then add the eggplant and tomatoes to a baking sheet.
- Season with a little salt and pepper, then sprinkle with capers.
- Roast in the oven, flipping eggplant halfway through until eggplant is golden brown and very tender and the tomatoes have burst. About 30-35 minutes.
- Brush rolls with oil from the pan, then divide vegetables among rolls and top with the cheese of your choice.