Roasted Eggplant and Tomato Sandwiches
|1 medium eggplant, sliced into 1 inch thick rounds(you may remove the skin if desired)|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|5 tbs extra virgin olive oil, divided|
|1 pint of cherry tomatoes|
|1/4 cup capers, drained|
|6 ciabatta rolls, split and toasted|
|Grated Parmesan and or ricotta for serving|
This is a delicious savory vegetarian sandwich adapted from Martha Stewarts Every Day Food.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Sprinkle eggplant with 2 tsps of salt, then place in a colander set over a bowl. Let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.
- Arrange eggplant in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Brush both sides with olive oil.
- Toss tomatoes in olive oil, then add the eggplant and tomatoes to a baking sheet.
- Season with a little salt and pepper, then sprinkle with capers.
- Roast in the oven, flipping eggplant halfway through until eggplant is golden brown and very tender and the tomatoes have burst. About 30-35 minutes.
- Brush rolls with oil from the pan, then divide vegetables among rolls and top with the cheese of your choice.