- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tbs garlic, chopped
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp cloves, ground
- 1 tsp coriander, ground
- 1/4 tsp allspice, ground
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tbs molasses
- 1 and 1/2 tbs canned chipolte peppers in adobo sauce(you may use more if you like very spicy)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken or beef stock
Chipotle’s are smoked jalapeno peppers. They add a unique smoky flavor to this all purpose barbecue sauce.
- In a sauce pan, add the oil and using medium low heat saute the onions and garlic until slightly browned for about 10 minutes. Take care not to burn.
- Add the vinegar and simmer and reduce by half.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer partially covered for 40 minutes to 1 hour.
- Allow sauce to cool, then transfer to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- The sauce will keep for 1 week refrigerated or you may freeze it in airtight containers and it will keep for several months.