Chunky Ginger Apple Sauce
- 2 lbs apples, mixed varieties
- 1-2 granny smith apples
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 (2 inch) piece fresh ginger, sliced into 1/8 inch slices
- 2-3 tbs sweet ginger bits
- 1-3 star anise pieces, broken
- 1-2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp allspice, ground
This is a wonderful chunky apple sauce, flavored with ginger, star anise, cinnamon, vanilla, cloves and cardamon.
- Peel and core the apples, then cut into large chunks.
- Mix with the lemon juice immediately to prevent browning.
- Place the apples, ginger, sweet ginger bits, star anise, vanilla in a slow cooker or heavy pan with a cover.
- Add the apple cider and stir.
- Cook on low for 3 hours.
- If cooking on the stove top in a pan, stir every half hour, then add the ground spices, salt and vanilla extract for the final 30 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.