Chunky Ginger Apple Sauce
|2 lbs apples, mixed varieties|
|1-2 granny smith apples|
|2 tbs lemon juice|
|1 (2 inch) piece fresh ginger, sliced into 1/8 inch slices|
|2-3 tbs sweet ginger bits|
|1-3 star anise pieces, broken|
|1-2 cinnamon sticks|
|3 tsp pure vanilla extract|
|1/4 tsp ground cloves|
|1 cup apple cider|
|1 tsp kosher salt|
|2 tsp cinnamon|
|1/2 tsp ground cardamom|
|1/4 tsp allspice, ground|
This is a wonderful chunky apple sauce, flavored with ginger, star anise, cinnamon, vanilla, cloves and cardamon.
- Peel and core the apples, then cut into large chunks.
- Mix with the lemon juice immediately to prevent browning.
- Place the apples, ginger, sweet ginger bits, star anise, vanilla in a slow cooker or heavy pan with a cover.
- Add the apple cider and stir.
- Cook on low for 3 hours.
- If cooking on the stove top in a pan, stir every half hour, then add the ground spices, salt and vanilla extract for the final 30 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.