- 1 lb cucumbers, sliced into 1/4 inch discs
- 1/4 lb sliced onions
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 and 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp celery seeds
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 tbs white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp allspice berries
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
Making pickles at home is super simple and quite rewarding. These pickles are crunchy and sweet.
- Combine the cucumbers, onions, cider vinegar, salt, mustard seeds and 2 tbs of the sugar in a large saucepan and bring to a simmer and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drain and discard the liquid the transfer the cucumbers to a jar or heatproof bowl.
- Combine the remaining sugar, celery seeds, white wine vinegar, allspice, and turmeric in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat, then pour the hot mixture over the cucumbers and onions.
- Allow to cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate.