Molasses Sugar Cookies
- 1 and 1/2 cups shortening
- 2/3 cup molasses
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbs, plus 1 tsp baking soda
- 4 cups flour
- extra sugar and or vanilla sugar for rolling
These cookies are chewy and flavored with molasses, cinnamon, cloves and vanilla.
- Melt the shortening over low heat and then let cool.
- Add the molasses, sugar and eggs and beat well.
- Mix the cloves, cinnamon, salt and baking soda.
- Mix in flour, then chill for 60-90 minutes. (it won’t get really firm)
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls, then roll again in the sugar and or vanilla sugar.
- Add cookies to baking sheets and press down slightly, do not over crowd.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes.