Molasses Sugar Cookies
|1 and 1/2 cups shortening|
|2/3 cup molasses|
|2 cups sugar|
|1/2 tsp cloves|
|2 tsp cinnamon|
|1 tsp pure vanilla extract|
|1 tsp kosher salt|
|1 tbs, plus 1 tsp baking soda|
|4 cups flour|
|extra sugar and or vanilla sugar for rolling|
These cookies are chewy and flavored with molasses, cinnamon, cloves and vanilla.
- Melt the shortening over low heat and then let cool.
- Add the molasses, sugar and eggs and beat well.
- Mix the cloves, cinnamon, salt and baking soda.
- Mix in flour, then chill for 60-90 minutes. (it won’t get really firm)
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls, then roll again in the sugar and or vanilla sugar.
- Add cookies to baking sheets and press down slightly, do not over crowd.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes.