Beef Filet with Mushroom Gravy
|1 (3 lb) beef filet trimmed|
|5 tbs butter, plus 2 tbs butter, melted|
|1 carrot, minced finely|
|1 rib celery, minced finely|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1/2 lb mushrooms, sliced|
|1/2 cup Madeira wine|
|2 tbs flour|
|1/2 cup beef stock|
|2 tbs fresh parsley, finely minced|
This tender filet is served with a savory mushroom gravy made with beef stock, herbs, butter and Madeira wine.
- In a frying pan melt 2 tbs butter over low heat.
- Add the onion, carrot, and celery and stir until vegetables are thoroughly coated with the butter, then remove from the heat. About 1 minute.
- Place filet of beef directly in a roasting pan and season on all sides with salt and pepper, then spread with 2 more tbs of softened butter.
- Surround the beef with buttered vegetables, then roast in a preheated 450 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Lower oven heat to 350 and roast 30 to 40 minutes for rare, or 50 minutes for medium rare.
- Remove the filet fro the roasting pan and place on a heated serving platter.
- Place the roasting over stove top burners and using medium heat deglaze the pan with the wine, scraping any browned bits from the bottom.
- Mix the flour with 2 tbs of stock, then pour into the pan and combine.
- Add the remaining stock to the pan and combine once more.
- Add the mushrooms and season gravy with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Carve the filet into thick slices.
- Just before serving, ad 1 tbs of cold butter to the pan and stir until butter is completely combined. Do not boil.
- Add parsley to the sauce and pour over the filet,