Chicken Confit and Arugula Salad
|1 whole chicken, cut into pieces|
|about 2 quarts vegetable oil (more or less as necessary)|
|1 quart olive oil (more or less as necessary)|
|2 whole heads of garlic, broken into individual unpeeled cloves|
|6-8 sprigs fresh thyme sprigs|
|1 cup red wine vinegar|
|1 large red onion, peeled, halved and sliced|
|2 carrots, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces|
|1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted in a dry skillet|
|1/2 cup shaved Parmigiana Reggiano cheese, shaved|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
“Confit” is a time tested technique that involves slow simmering of meats covered in oil. It has preservative qualities as well as provides tender meats with incredible flavor. This recipe pairs “confit” chicken with an arugula salad with pickled onions, pine nuts and shaved Parmesan cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Rub the chicken pieces with salt and pepper then add to a dutch oven.
- Pour in about 3 parts of vegetable and 1 part olive oil into the pan, enough to totally cover the chicken.
- Add the garlic cloves and thyme, then place a piece of foil over the pot to seal well, then add the cover to the pan.
- Place in the oven and cook for about 1 and 1/2-2 hours, or until the meat is tender and falling off the bone.
- Meanwhile combine 3/4 cup of red wine vinegar in a small sauce pan with 1/3 cup of water, and bring to a boil.
- Put the red onion slices in a bowl, and pour the vinegar mixture over.
- Stir, then add salt and pepper, then allow the onions to pickle at room temperature.
- Heat 1 tbs of olive over low heat in a sauce pan and add the carrots.
- Cook stirring occasionally for 6-8 minutes, or until the carrots are tender, but not mushy. Add salt and pepper and reserve.
- Make a vinaigrette placing 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, then whisk in 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, then season with salt and pepper.
- When chicken pieces are cool, remove the skin and discard then remove the meat from the bones and reserve.
- To serve, reheat the chicken meat in a pan with a little oil over low heat, just to warm through.
- In a large mixing bowl, gently toss the arugula with the drained pickled onions, carrots, pine nuts, cheese and about 3 tbs of the vinaigrette.
- Divide the salad among four plates, and top with the chicken meat, adding a few more shavings of cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper if desired.