Fresh Tomato Basil Soup with Asiago Cheese
|3 lbs ripe roma tomatoes, peeled and seeded, cut in half|
|2 cups yellow onions, sliced|
|6 cloves garlic, finely minced|
|2 tbs extra virgin olive oil|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|dash of red pepper flakes|
|1 quart (32 oz) chicken or vegetable broth|
|1 cup basil, chopped|
|2 tsp fresh thyme|
|2 bay leaves|
|6 tbs asiago cheese, shredded|
This is a delightful fresh soup of tomato, and fresh basil and is spiced with cloves, red pepper flakes and thyme.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss tomatoes, onions, garlic and olive oil together.
- Spread the tomato mixture on a non-stick baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and once cool enough to handle, remove and discard the skins from the tomatoes.
- Transfer the tomato mixture to a large stock pot, along with any juices.
- Using medium heat, add the salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, basil, thyme and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender or food processor for a smooth creamy consistency,
- Garnish each serving with 1 tbs of asiago cheese and serve at once.