- 5 lbs small new potatoes
- 10 ears of corn on the cob, halved or cut into thirds
- 12 medium onions, peeled and left whole
- 5 lbs andouille or smoked sausage, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 3 lbs whole button mushrooms, cleaned
- 10 lbs medium-large shrimp, shell on
- 3 heads of garlic, peeled, cloves halved
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 cup old bay seasoning or rex crab boil
- black pepper to taste
- lemon slices for serving
- 6 blue crabs, optional
Frogmore stew is a typical low country South Carolina dish. It contains potatoes, corn, onions, sausage, mushrooms and shrimp, and don’t worry it doesn’t contain any frogs. This recipe will feed a crowd.
- Fill a large stock pot halfway with water, and add half of the old bay or rex crab boil, then add the garlic and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil, then add the potatoes and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the remainder of the old bay or crab boil
- Add the corn, sausage and onion and cook for 10 minutes more.
- Add the mushrooms and shrimp and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes or just until the shrimp turn red and begin to float.
- Drain the stock pot and pour the frogmore stew over a newspaper covered table.
- Serve with lemon wedges and additional old bay for serving.