Open Face Jumbo Lump Crab Sandwiches with Gruyere
|1 lb jumbo lump crab meat, pick over to remove and cartilage|
|2 English muffins, halved, lightly toasted|
|3 tbs unsalted butter|
|1 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded|
|1 tbs flour|
|1 cup of half and half|
|2 tsp old bay seasoning|
|1 tbs fresh parsley, chopped|
|kosher salt and white pepper to taste|
|3-4 scallions, thinly sliced on a bias|
These are delicious open face sandwiches prepared with jumbo lump crab meat bathed in a rich cream sauce, topped with Gruyere cheese and toasted in the oven.
- To a medium saute pan using medium heat a bring up to temperature.
- As soon as butter starts to foam, add the flour and whisk constantly to combine. About 2 minutes.
- Slowly add half and half and continue to whisk after each addition until a smooth sauce is formed.
- Lower the heat to a simmer
- Add the old bay seasoning, taste then season with white pepper and additional salt if desired.
- Add the lump crab meat and parsley, then gently stir to combine, taking care not to break up the lumps.
- Let simmer for another minute, then remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Lightly toast the English muffins, remembering that they will be cooked again in the oven.
- Place English muffin halves on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Spoon equal amounts of the crab mixture on to each muffin, then top each with 1 quarter of the cheese.
- Place under a broiler and cook until the cheese has melted and lightly browned.
- Garnish with sliced scallions.