- 2 tbs butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1/3 cup dark raisins
This is a spicy sweet and sour red cabbage soup that contains cider vinegar lemon juice and brown sugar, apples, raisins and ginger for the sweet.
- In a large pot melt butter over moderate heat, then add the onion and apple and saute, stirring until just tender.
- Add the red cabbage and saute for another 3 minutes.
- Add the stock, vinegar, lemon juice, brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt, pepper, ginger, and raisins.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered over low heat for 45 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold.