Sweet and Spicy Indian Chicken Stew
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 cup red bell pepper chopped
- 4-6 scallions chopped on a bias
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs curry powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp coriander
- 2 red hot peppers, chopped, or 2 tsp hot red pepper flakes
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes, un-drained
- 1 (14 oz) can chicken broth
- 1 granny smith apple, chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 cups basmati rice, cooked
- toasted sliced almonds, optional
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- naan bread for serving
This is and Indian chicken stew that uses chicken thighs, curry for spice and apples and raisins for sweetness.
- Heat oil in a 3 quart sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring for about 2 minutes.
- Add the curry powder, garam masala, coriander and peppers and cook for another 2 minutes, taking care not to burn.
- Add the cubed chicken and cook stirring for another 2 minutes or until browned on all sides.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the apple and raisins and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Ladle stew into shallow soup bowls and top each with 1/3 cup of basmati rice.
- Garnish with almonds if desired.