Sweet and Spicy Indian Chicken Stew
|1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch cubes|
|1 tbs olive oil|
|1 cup red bell pepper chopped|
|4-6 scallions chopped on a bias|
|4 cloves garlic, minced|
|1 tbs curry powder|
|2 tsp garam masala|
|1 tsp coriander|
|2 red hot peppers, chopped, or 2 tsp hot red pepper flakes|
|1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes, un-drained|
|1 (14 oz) can chicken broth|
|1 granny smith apple, chopped|
|1/2 cup golden raisins|
|2 cups basmati rice, cooked|
|toasted sliced almonds, optional|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|naan bread for serving|
This is and Indian chicken stew that uses chicken thighs, curry for spice and apples and raisins for sweetness.
- Heat oil in a 3 quart sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring for about 2 minutes.
- Add the curry powder, garam masala, coriander and peppers and cook for another 2 minutes, taking care not to burn.
- Add the cubed chicken and cook stirring for another 2 minutes or until browned on all sides.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the apple and raisins and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Ladle stew into shallow soup bowls and top each with 1/3 cup of basmati rice.
- Garnish with almonds if desired.