Turkey and White Bean Chili
|4 lbs ground turkey|
|1/2 lb dried white navy beans|
|1 whole head of garlic, minced|
|2 medium onions, chopped|
|1 green bell pepper, chopped|
|1 red bell pepper, chopped|
|3 jalapeno peppers, chopped, with seeds if you like spicy|
|3 tbs canola or vegetable oil|
|2 cups tomato sauce|
|2 cups chicken or turkey stock|
|1 tbs cumin|
|1 tbs oregano|
|cayenne pepper, optional|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped|
|1 small can of chipolte peppers with adobo sauce, chopped|
|4 tbs of chili powder, more if desired|
|1/2 pound of dried great northern beans|
This is super healthy chili with ground turkey, hot chipolte peppers, bell peppers,chili powder, oregano, cumin. This chili is prepared a day ahead because it uses dried beans, which are healthier and absorb flavors better than canned.
- Soak the beans overnight covered in water.
- In a large saucepan or stock pot, add the oil and using medium heat, add the onions and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the bell and jalapeno peppers and cook, stirring for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add the ground turkey and cook until browned, stirring frequently for another 6 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, stock, chopped chipolte peppers, chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir to combine well.
- Add the beans.
- Allow to simmer for 2 hours minutes, then taste for seasoning.
- Adjust seasoning if desired.
- Add cilantro and stir
- Add cayenne pepper if desired.
- Serve with cornbread if desired.