- 1 lb dry red beans
- 2 quarts water
- 1 and 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 tbs chopped garlic
- 2-3 tsp dried thyme
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Cooked rice for serving
- chopped scallions for garnish
This is an authentic version of red beans and rice, that is flavored with onions, celery, parsley, green pepper garlic and thyme.
- Pick through the beans to remove any bad beans or small stones, then rinse well.
- In a large pot, combine the beans water, onion, celery and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat.
- Cover and cook over low heat for about 1 and 1/2 hours or until the beans are tender. Add additional water if necessary.
- Once beans are tender, using a wooden spoon, stir and mash the beans against the side of the pan.
- Add the green pepper, garlic, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper, then cook for another 30 minutes over very low heat until creamy.
- Remove bay leaves and serve over hot rice.