Old Fashioned Bread Pudding with Apple Raisin Sauce
|10 slices of white or whole wheat bread|
|3 egg whites|
|1 and 1/2 cups milk|
|1/4 cup sugar|
|1/4 cup brown sugar|
|1 tsp pure vanilla extract|
|1/2 tsp cinnamon|
|1/4 tsp nutmeg|
|1/4 tsp ground cloves|
|2 tsp sugar|
|For the Apple Raisin Sauce:|
|1 and 1/4 cups apple juice|
|1/2 cup apple butter|
|2 tbs molasses|
|1/2 cup raisins|
|1/4 tsp ground cinnamon|
|1/4 tsp ground nutmeg|
|1/2 tsp orange zest|
This is a delicious old fashioned bread pudding with a sauce that is made with apple butter, molasses, raisins, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, then spray a 8×8 inch baking dish with vegetable oil spray.
- Lay the slices of bread in the baking dish in two rows, overlapping them like shingles.
- In a bowl, beat together the egg, egg whites, milk, 1/4 cup sugar, brown sugar and vanilla, then pour the mixture over the bread.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and 2 tsp sugar.
- Sprinkle the spiced sugar over the bread pudding.
- Bake the pudding for 30-35 minutes or until it has browned on top and is firm to the touch, then pour the apple raisin sauce over.
Apple Raisin Sauce Directions:
- Stir all ingredients together in a sauce pan, then bring to a simmer over low heat.
- Let the sauce simmer for 5 minutes.
- Makes 2 cups.