Spicy Asian Seafood Cakes
- 1 lb skinless cod filets, minced
- 1 lb shrimp, shelled, deveined and minced
- 3 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 4 scallions, minced
- 1 tbs lime zest
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 cups sesames seeds
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- 5 slices white bread, crusts removed
- butter lettuce, cilantro, hot chilies for garnish
- Asian chili sauce for serving if desired
This fish cakes are made with cod and shrimp and flavored with ginger, lime zest and crusted with sesame seeds.
- Add the cod and shrimp and bread to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until minced, then add to a large bowl along with the scallions, ginger, lime zest. Mix well to combine.
- Divide the mixture into 8-10 equal portions, then form into patties.
- Dip each pattie into the beaten egg, then into the sesame seeds to coat evenly. Repeat with the remaining patties
- Fill a large sauce pan or deep fryer 1/3 full with oil and heat to 350 degrees.
- Fry the patties in batches until golden brown all over. 5-8 minutes. Keep a careful watch over the patties so they don’t get too brown.
- To serve place the patties on top of salad greens of your choice and garnish with cilantro and thinly sliced red hot peppers.
- If desired you may serve with Asian chili bean sauce.