- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- 4 tbs olive oil, divided in half
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small can anchovies, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 2 tbs dry white wine
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese for sprinkling
These tomatoes are stuffed with onion, garlic, tomato pulp, bread crumbs, anchovies and Parmesan cheese. It is best to use ripe tomatoes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the tops off of the tomatoes and set aside.
- Remove the center pulp of the tomatoes, then chop and discard any extra juice.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tbs of olive oil, then add the onion and garlic and saute until softened. About 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato pulp, anchovies, parsley, bread crumbs, wine, remaining olive oil, then season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Fill the tomato shells with the mixture and place in a greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese has melted and lightly golden.