|2 lbs ripe tomatoes|
|1 medium onion|
|1 tsp allspice berries, cracked|
|8 whole celery leaves|
|1/2 cup red wine vinegar|
|1 tsp cayenne pepper|
|1 tbs mustard seeds|
|2/3 cup brown sugar|
|kosher salt to taste|
This tomato relish is spiced with onions, allspice, cayenne pepper, mustard seeds, brown sugar and red wine vinegar.
- Wash and quarter the tomatoes, then place them in a heavy bottomed sauce pan.
- Dice the onions ad add to the pan, together with the allspice and celery leaves. Cover the pan and cook the mixture over low heat for about 45 minutes.
- Uncover the pan and add the vinegar, cayenne, mustard seeds, sugar and salt.
- Stir to combine and cook the relish, uncovered for another 35 minutes or until the juices are reduced and thickened.
- Pour the relish into warmed, sterilized jars, let them cool slightly, then seal and label.
- This relish will keep well for a month.
- After opening, store the relish in the refrigerator.