- 2 lbs ripe tomatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tsp allspice berries, cracked
- 8 whole celery leaves
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbs mustard seeds
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- kosher salt to taste
This tomato relish is spiced with onions, allspice, cayenne pepper, mustard seeds, brown sugar and red wine vinegar.
- Wash and quarter the tomatoes, then place them in a heavy bottomed sauce pan.
- Dice the onions ad add to the pan, together with the allspice and celery leaves. Cover the pan and cook the mixture over low heat for about 45 minutes.
- Uncover the pan and add the vinegar, cayenne, mustard seeds, sugar and salt.
- Stir to combine and cook the relish, uncovered for another 35 minutes or until the juices are reduced and thickened.
- Pour the relish into warmed, sterilized jars, let them cool slightly, then seal and label.
- This relish will keep well for a month.
- After opening, store the relish in the refrigerator.