Rotelle Pasta Salad
|5 tbs extra virgin olive oil, divided|
|2 large red bell peppers, seeded and cut into strips|
|2 large yellow or orange bell peppers, seeded and cut into strips|
|2 cloves garlic, cut into thin slices|
|3 tbs balsamic vinegar|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1/2 lb rotelle pasta|
|3/4 cup fresh basil leaves, stemmed|
|1 and 1/2 cups canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed|
|1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded|
|1/3 cup chopped walnuts|
|1/4 cup sliced green olives|
Rotelle pasta is pasta that is shaped like little wagon wheels. This salad contains red and yellow bell peppers along garlic, basil, chickpeas, green olives, Parmesan and walnuts.
- Heat 2 tbs oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add half of the bell pepper strips and garlic and cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Cover and cook for another 5 minutes, until soft.
- Place the cooked peppers in a food processor, add the remaining oil then process until smooth. Cool.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Drain and place in a large bowl.
- Add the remaining bell pepper strips and dressing, then toss to coat.
- Stack the basil with the largest leaves on the bottom, roll up and slice int 1/4 inch strips. Separate strips and add to the salad.
- Add the chickpeas, cheese, walnuts and olives.
- Gently toss to combine well.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.