White Bean Ragu with Roasted Red Peppers
|1 (15 oz) can white beans, drained and rinsed|
|1 small jar of roasted red peppers, drained and cut into 1/4 inch pieces|
|1/3 cup celery, chopped|
|2 cloves garlic, minced|
|1 small shallot minced|
|2-3 tbs olive oil|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1 tbs tomato paste|
|fresh cilantro for garnish|
This is delicious and easy way to make plain white beans exciting. They can be served over white rice or polenta.
- In a frying pan add olive oil and using medium high heat add the garlic, tomato paste, shallot and chopped celery.
- Cook stirring frequently for about 3 minutes. Reduce the heat if the garlic starts to brown too quickly.
- Add the drained beans along with the red peppers and stir to mix.
- Add about 1/3 cup of water and simmer for about 3-4 minutes.
- Using a fork smash some of the beans to thicken the sauce slightly.
- Serve over rice or polenta and garnish with celery leaves.