Green Turkey Chili
|3 tbs extra virgin olive oil, divided|
|1 lb ground turkey|
|1 medium yellow onion, diced|
|3 cloves garlic, minced|
|1 fresh green poblano pepper, seeded and diced|
|1 green bell pepper, diced|
|1 tbs ground cumin|
|2 tsp Mexican oregano|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1 tsp cayenne pepper|
|2 whole bay leaves|
|1 (4 oz) can green chilies|
|1 (16 oz) jar salsa verde|
|2 (16 oz) cans chicken stock|
|1 cup water|
|2 (15 oz) cans of kidney or pinto beans drained|
|1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped|
This is a chili that uses turkey, green chilies, salsa verde and Mexican spices.
- Heat 2 tbs olive oil in a stock pot over medium heat.
- Add the ground turkey and brown, breaking up with a wooden spoon.
- Once turkey has brown, remove from the pot and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil, onion and garlic.
- Cook stirring frequently until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the poblano and bell pepper and stir until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the cumin, oregano and cayenne and stir until well combined.
- Add the turkey, bay leaves, canned green chilies, salsa verde, water and chicken stock.
- Stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour covered.
- Uncover, add the beans, stir to combine and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust if desired.
- To serve ladle into bowl and garnish with cilantro.
- May be served with rice if desired.