- 6 catfish fillets (8 oz) each
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 1 tbs onion powder
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tbs creole or whole grain mustard
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 gallon ice water
- Oil for deep frying
This is a wonderfully crispy fried catfish. Other white fish fillets may be substituted if desired.
- In a bowl add the cornmeal and flour, along with the garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Place the fish fillets in ice water for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the fish from the ice water and pat dry.
- Blend the milk, creole mustard and lemon juice.
- Place the fish in the mustard mixture and then into the corn meal mixture and coat the fillets, knocking off the excess.
- Fill a large sauce pan or deep fryer 1/3 full of oil and heat to 365 degrees.
- Fry the fish in batches until it is golden brown and crispy. About 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels.