Potato Parmesan Croquettes
|2 lbs baking potatoes|
|1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese|
|1/8 tsp nutmeg|
|4 tbs fresh parsley, chopped|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|oil for deep frying|
|1 cup seasoned bread crumbs, for breading|
|3 eggs, beaten|
|dried Italian bread crumbs|
|Rosemary sprigs for garnish|
These croquettes are crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside.
- Place the potatoes, skin in a steamer basket over boiling water.
- Steam until tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Allow the potatoes to cool, remove skins and cut into chunks.
- Using a food mill or potato ricer, reduce the potatoes to a smooth consistency.
- Add the eggs, Parmesan, nutmeg, parsley, salt and pepper and mix well and form into a large round ball.
- The mixture should be quite dry. If it is too wet add additional Parmesan until a dry, tight mixture is formed.
- To form the croquet’s take golf ball sized pieces from the large ball and form into oval croquettes.
- Using two separate bowls add the beaten eggs and the bread crumbs.
- Dip the croquet’s first in the egg mixture and then into the bread crumbs, covering them completely.
- Place on a platter, cover and refrigerate for several hours before frying. They should be quite dry.
- In a deep sauce pan or deep fryer fill 1/3 full with oil and heat to 350 degrees.
- Fry the croquettes in batches for about 5 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Serve hot.