Spicy Chickpea Casserole
|3 tbs extra virgin olive oil|
|1 medium onion, chopped|
|3 garlic cloves, chopped|
|1-2 tsp cayenne pepper|
|1 tsp smoked paprika|
|1 tsp ground ginger|
|1 tsp ground cumin|
|1 tsp ground cinnamon|
|1 (14-15 oz) can chopped tomatoes|
|1 tsp superfine sugar|
|1 (15 oz) cans of chickpeas, rinsed and drained|
|3-4 tbs Italian parsley|
|2 tbs cilantro leaves, chopped|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
These chickpeas have a middle eastern flair. They are bathed in a spicy mixture of olive oil, garlic, cayenne, turmeric, cumin tomatoes and cinnamon.
- Add the olive oil and onion to a large sauce pan and cook over medium heat for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the garlic and cayenne along with the other spices except for the parsley and cilantro and cook gently for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes and sugar and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Simmer sauce for 20 minutes.
- Add the chick peas to a casserole dish and pour the sauce.
- Mix well, then bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Add the cilantro and parsley and stir through.
- Serve with rice or couscous.