Barbecued Cod Fillets
- 2 lbs cod fillets
- 2 tbs onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 tbs sherry
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- few drops of hot sauce
- 1 tsp oregano
- Add oil to a large saute pan and using medium high heat saute onion and garlic until soft.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for five minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool.
- Cut fillets into serving sized portions and place in a single layer in a shallow baking dish.
- Pour sauce over fish and let stand for 30 minutes, turning once.
- Remove fish, reserving sauce for basting.
- Place fish in a well greased, hinged fish basket.</span>
- Cook about 4 inches from moderately hot coals for 8 minutes, while basting with sauce.
- Turn and cook for another 4 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- Halibut or similar fish steaks may be substituted .