|1 large sweet onion|
|2 cups flour|
|1 tbs garlic powder|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1 tbs smoked paprika|
|4 eggs, beaten|
|Oil for deep frying|
This is a better homemade version of Outback Steak House’s famous bloomin onion.
- Cut 1 inch off the top of the onion and peel, leaving the root end intact.
- Place the onion on a cutting board root end up and make 4 evenly cut slices, leaving the root in tack.
- Go back and make another slice evenly on the previously cut slices. There should be a total of 8 slices, leaving the onion in tack, held together by the root end.
- Place the flour in one bowl and season with the spices, and combine well.
- Place the eggs in another bowl and slightly beat.
- Place the onion into the flour mixture and cover petals over with the flour.
- Place the onion in the egg wash and spoon the egg wash all over and in between the petals, the place the onion back into the flour and knock off any excess.
- In a large sauce pan or deep fryer fill till 1/3 full and heat to 350 degrees.
- Place the onion root side down and cook for about 5 minutes, then carefully flip the onion and continue to fry for another 5-8 minutes or until golden.