Granny’s Oven Barbecued Chicken
|3 lb frying chicken|
|four for dredging|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1/2 cup vegetable oil|
|1 (6 oz) can tomato sauce|
|4 scallions, minced finely|
|4 cloves garlic, minced finely or pressed|
|1 tbs barbecue spices|
|2 tsp chili powder|
|1/2 tsp celery salt|
|1 and 1/3 cups water|
|2 tbs Worcestershire sauce|
|2 tbs vinegar|
|dash of Tabasco|
- Cut up the chicken in serving pieces.
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper, then dredge in flour, knocking off all excess flour.
- Add oil to a iron skillet or large saute pan and brown the chicken pieces on all sides in about 1/2 inch of oil.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl.
- Place the browned chicken pieces in a casserole and pour the barbecue sauce over.
- Cover and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
- For a crispy crust, remove cover during the last half hour of cooling.