Hot and Spicy Barbecued Ribs
- 1 (3 lb) rack of ribs, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tbs chili powder
- 1 tbs prepared mustard
- dash of kosher salt and black pepper
You may use Spare Ribs, Baby Back or Country ribs for this recipe.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over low heat.
- Add onions and garlic and saute until tender.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for ribs and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reserve sauce for later use. Extra sauce may be served at the table or cover and refrigerated where it will keep for 1-2 weeks.
- Add the ribs to a medium charcoal fire along with some wood chips that have been soaked in water.
- Do not place the ribs directly over the coals but place them off to the side using the indirect smoking method.
- Cook for about 30 minutes, adding more wood chips if necessary, then turn and cook for another 45 minutes or until the meat starts to pull away from the bone.
- During the last 15 minutes of cooking, brush the ribs with some of the sauce, turn halfway through and brush the other side.