Key West Conch Fritters
|1 lb conch meat, pounded and chopped|
|2 eggs, slightly beaten|
|3 and 1/4 cups flour|
|1/2 cup green pepper, minced|
|1/4 cup red pepper, minced|
|1/4 cup onion, minced|
|1 tsp cayenne pepper|
|1/2 tsp baking powder|
|1 tsp old bay seasoning|
|1/2 cup beer|
|oil for deep frying|
|For the Dipping Sauce:|
|2 tbs ketchup|
|2 tbs lime juice|
|1 tbs mayonnaise|
|1 tbs hot sauce|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
- Combine conch with the next 8 ingredients.
- Add beer and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- In a large sauce pan or deep fryer, fill 1/3 full with oil and heat to 350 degrees.
- Once oil is at temperature, using a large spoon add heaping spoon fulls of the batter to the oil one at a time. Do not over crowd the oil.
- Fry for about 5 minutes until golden brown, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels
- Before adding the second batch allow the oil to come up to temperature.