Puerto Rican Seafood Stew
|1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined|
|1 lb large scallops, cut in half|
|3 (6 oz) lobster tails, shelled and cut into 2 inch pieces|
|2 (8 oz) skinless cod filets|
|3 bell peppers, 1 green, 1 red and 1 orange or yellow, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces|
|2 habanero peppers, seeded and finely chopped|
|2 (16 oz) cans of tomato sauce|
|1/4 cup olive oil|
|8 cloves garlic, chopped|
|1 large Spanish onion, chopped|
|1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped, with stems|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|3-4 cups cooked white rice|
- In a large sauce pan or stock pot add the olive oil and using medium heat add the onions and saute the onions for about 3 minutes, or until soft, taking care not to burn.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the garlic, bell peppers and habanero peppers.
- Season with salt and pepper and saute for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cilantro, stir well and saute for another 1 minute.
- Add the tomato sauce, then taste for seasoning. Adjust seasoning if desired.
- Reduce heat and let sauce simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the shrimp, lobster and scallops and the whole cod filets to the sauce and simmer for another 5-7 minutes or until cooked through. Gently stir to combine. Do not over cook.
- Serve over white rice.