Buttermilk Hush Puppies
|1/2 cup corn meal|
|1/2 cup flour|
|1 tbs sugar|
|1 cup butter milk|
|2 tbs shortening|
|1/4 cup onion, grated|
|oil for deep frying|
|2 tsp baking powder|
These hush puppies go well with barbecue, steamed crabs or a seafood boil.
- Stir liquid into dry ingredients, making a thick batter.
- In a large sauce pan or deep fryer, fill 1/3 full with oil and heat to 350 degrees.
- Drop heaping tbs of the batter into the hot oil. Do not over crowd the pan,
- Fry until golden brown, turning occasionally. About 3-5 minutes.
- Allow oil to come back up to temperature after each batch.