Buttermilk Hush Puppies
- 1/2 cup corn meal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 cup butter milk
- 2 tbs shortening
- 1/4 cup onion, grated
- 2 eggs
- oil for deep frying
- 2 tsp baking powder
These hush puppies go well with barbecue, steamed crabs or a seafood boil.
- Stir liquid into dry ingredients, making a thick batter.
- In a large sauce pan or deep fryer, fill 1/3 full with oil and heat to 350 degrees.
- Drop heaping tbs of the batter into the hot oil. Do not over crowd the pan,
- Fry until golden brown, turning occasionally. About 3-5 minutes.
- Allow oil to come back up to temperature after each batch.