Cheese and Spinach Bruschetta
|1 French baguette|
|2 tbs extra virgin olive oil|
|1 lb spinach leaves|
|1/4 lb cream cheese, room temperature|
|1/4 lb goat cheese, room temperature|
|3 tbs canned pimento, drained and finely chopped|
This is a delicious and beautiful appetizer. This recipe makes about 24 appetizers and may be doubled or tripled.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the bread into 24 thin slices and lightly brush each side with oil.
- Bake on a baking sheet for about 10 minutes or until lightly, turning once.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- Remove the stalks from the spinach leaves and place the leaves in a bowl and cover with boiling water and leave for a couple of minutes or until the leaves have wilted. Drain and allow to cool.
- Squeeze out the excess liquid and drain on paper towels.
- Lay the spinach leaves flat, overlapping on a piece of plastic wrap for form a 10×18 rectangle.
- Beat the cheeses together until soft and smooth.
- Spread the cheese mixture evenly and carefully over the spinach, then top the cheese evenly with the chopped pimento.
- Using the plastic wrap as a guide, carefully roll up the spinach to enclose the cheese.
- Remove the plastic wrap and cut the log into thin slices using a sharp knife.
- Serve atop of the bread slices.
- Note: Be sure to thoroughly drain and squeeze all of the water from the spinach and pimento to avoid a watery result.