Chesapeake Bay Crab and Pimento Cheese Spread
- 1/2 lb cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated ( about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, plus 2 tbs
- 1/2 lb crab meat, (1/4 lb lump, 1/4 lb jumbo lump)
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
- 1 tbs fresh lemon juice (more to taste)
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 and 1/2 cups torn rustic bread, crust removed
- endive leaves, cucumber spears and celery sticks for serving
This appetizer is sure to be the hit of the party.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mash cream cheese in a bowl until very soft.
- Add cheddar and the mayonnaise and stir to combined.
- Gently stir in the crab, pimento, scallions, lemon juice and salt and pepper.
- Spoon mixture into two 14 oz baking dishes, dividing evenly.
- Stir together the torn bread along with the remaining 2 tbs of mayonnaise.
- Top the spread with bread mixture, dividing it evenly.
- Bake on a baking sheet until golden brown and bubbling, about 25 minutes.
- Serve with vegetables crackers and crusty bread.