Chesapeake Bay Crab and Pimento Cheese Spread
|1/2 lb cream cheese, room temperature|
|1/2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated ( about 2 cups)|
|1/2 cup mayonnaise, plus 2 tbs|
|1/2 lb crab meat, (1/4 lb lump, 1/4 lb jumbo lump)|
|1/4 cup roasted red peppers, chopped|
|1/4 cup sliced scallions|
|1 tbs fresh lemon juice (more to taste)|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1 and 1/2 cups torn rustic bread, crust removed|
|endive leaves, cucumber spears and celery sticks for serving|
This appetizer is sure to be the hit of the party.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mash cream cheese in a bowl until very soft.
- Add cheddar and the mayonnaise and stir to combined.
- Gently stir in the crab, pimento, scallions, lemon juice and salt and pepper.
- Spoon mixture into two 14 oz baking dishes, dividing evenly.
- Stir together the torn bread along with the remaining 2 tbs of mayonnaise.
- Top the spread with bread mixture, dividing it evenly.
- Bake on a baking sheet until golden brown and bubbling, about 25 minutes.
- Serve with vegetables crackers and crusty bread.