Fried Squash Blossoms Stuffed with Ricotta Cheese
|10-15 squash blossoms|
|3/4 cup cornstarch|
|1 tsp baking powder|
|1/4 cup flour|
|1 egg beaten|
|1/2 cup water|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1/2 cup ricotta cheese|
|1/4 cup mayonnaise|
|2 tsp oregano|
|1 tsp garlic powder|
|1 tbs bread crumbs|
|vegetable oil for frying|
- Combine the cornstarch, baking powder, flour, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Stir in the egg, then add the water and mix until smooth.
- Refrigerate covered for 15-20 minutes.
- In the center of each squash blossom there is a pistil that should be plucked out.
- In a bowl combine the cheese, mayonnaise, oregano, garlic powder and bread crumbs.
- Stir the mixture until well combined and smooth.
- Stuff each squash blossom with about 1 tbs of the cheese mixture, then twist the top tightly to seal. If necessary you may have to insert a tooth pick to seal the top.
- Heat a large saute pan and add about 1 inch of oil.
- When the oil reaches about 350 degrees, dip each squash blossom in the batter and allow the excess batter to drip off.
- Fry each blossom, turning once, until golden and crisp on both sides.