Jamaican Jerked Shrimp
|1 and l/2 lbs Extra large shrimp|
|1-2 scotch bonnet peppers, seeded and diced|
|2-3 cloves garlic, chopped|
|1 tbs fresh ginger, grated|
|2 scallions, chopped, white and green parts|
|1 tbs fresh thyme leaves|
|1 tbs allspice|
|1 tsp nutmeg|
|1 tsp cinnamon|
|2 tsp black pepper|
|1 tbs brown sugar|
|1 tbs vegetable oil|
|2 tbs white vinegar|
|2 tbs soy sauce|
|1 tbs dark rum|
|1/2 orange, juice and zest|
|1 lime, juice and zest|
- Peel and devein the shrimp, leaving the tails on.
- Add all ingredients for the jerk marinade in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth.
- Add the shrimp to shallow baking dish or to a large zip lock bag and pour the marinade over, making all the shrimp are covered.
- Marinate the shrimp refrigerated for at least 4 hours, turning occasionally.
- Start a hot charcoal fire along with a few wood chips that have soaked in water for 30 minutes.
- Add the shrimp to the grill and brush with some more of the marinade.
- Cook covered for about 3-4 minutes per side, turning once and brushing with the marinade.