Spiced Barbecued Chicken
|3 lbs chicken, quartered|
|2 tbs canola oil|
|2 cloves garlic, minced|
|3/4 cup ketchup|
|1/3 cup vinegar|
|1 tbs Worcestershire sauce|
|2 tsp brown sugar|
|1 tsp celery seeds|
|1 tsp dry mustard|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
- Heat oil in a saucepan and cook onion and garlic until tender, but do not brown.
- Add the ketchup, stir and add the remaining ingredients, except for the chicken.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Season chicken all over with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken pieces bone side down over medium to hot coals.
- Grill for about 25 minutes or until the bone side is well browned.
- Turn pieces over and grill 25 minutes more or until chicken is cooked through. It should be 165 degrees internal temperature.
- Brush chicken frequently with sauce during the last 10 minutes of grilling, using all of the sauce.