Barley Minestrone Soup
|2 tbs extra virgin olive oil|
|2 cups onion, chopped|
|1 tbs fresh rosemary, chopped|
|6 cloves garlic, minced|
|1 cup celery, sliced|
|1 cup cooked ham, chopped|
|3/4 cup barley|
|8 cups chicken broth|
|1 and 1/2 cups carrots, sliced|
|2 tbs Italian parsley, chopped|
|2 tsp dried oregano|
|1 tbs lemon juice|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|2 tbs fresh Parmesan cheese, shredded|
- In a stock pot or dutch oven heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until light golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add the rosemary and garlic ad cook for about 1 minute, then add the celery, ham, uncooked barley and cook for another 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for about 30 minutes,
- Add the carrot, parsley and oregano, cover and simmer for another 20 minutes or so.
- Stir in lemon juice, then season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.