Cream of Broccoli Soup
|1 bunch broccoli, about 2 lbs|
|2 bunches scallions|
|4 cups salted water|
|2 cups milk|
|2 cups chicken or vegetable broth|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1/2 cup sour cream|
This is a great soup served hot with buttery croutons or it may be chilled and served cold. If you decide to serve it cold, allow it to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for several hours and then taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Wash the broccoli, trim the stems and remove the leaves.
- Peel the large stems and cut across in thin slices.
- Cut the tops into small florets.
- Finely chop the scallions, white and green parts
- Place the broccoli and scallions in a large saucepan with the salted water.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 4-5 minutes, until the stem slices are tender but not softened.
- Cool slightly, then puree, cooking water and all, 2 cups at a time.
- Do not over process, leave a little texture.
- Pour the puree back into the sauce pan and add the milk and broth.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for a minute or two to bring the flavors together.
- Season with salt and pepper, then take off the heat.
- At this point the soup can be refrigerated or frozen.
- Alternatively stir a few tbs of soup into a bowl with the sour cream to make a smooth mixture, then stir the mixture into the soup.
- Heat it slowly, not letting it boil.
- Serve sprinkled with croutons.