Creamed Rutabaga Soup
|1 rutabaga, about 1 and 1/2 lbs, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch dice|
|2 tbs butter|
|1 medium onion, chopped|
|2 garlic cloves, minced|
|1 large potato, peeled and cut into 2 inch cubes|
|2 cups water|
|3 cups chicken broth|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1/2 tsp powdered ginger|
|2 tsp poultry seasoning|
|1/4 tsp turmeric|
|1/2 cup heavy cream|
|2 tbs fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish|
Rutabaga is an under used but delicious vegetable. If you have never tried it this soup will be a great introduction.
- Heat the butter in a heavy saucepan, and cook the onion and garlic over low heat until the onion is soft but not browned.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, except for the heavy cream and parsley, mix well.
- Cook over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until the rutabaga is soft.
- Cool slightly, then puree in a blender or food processor, 2 cups at a time until smooth.
- Pour back int the sauce pan and bring to the boil.
- Stir in the cream and bring just to boiling point again.
- Serve and garnish with parsley.