Crispy Quinoa Cakes
|1 and 1/2 cups packed cooked quinoa|
|1/4 cup each, celery, carrot, onion, finely diced|
|3/4 cup scallions, chopped|
|2 large eggs, beaten|
|1/2 cup goat cheese|
|1/3 cup instant potato flakes|
|1 cup ap flour or potato flour|
|1 tbs extra virgin olive oil|
|Canola oil for frying|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
- Heat 1 tbs olive oil in a large skillet. Add the celery, carrot and onion and using medium heat, cook until tender.
- Transfer mixture to bowl and allow to cool completely.
- Add the cooked quinoa to the bowl, along with the scallions, goat cheese and eggs.
- Mix by hand until well incorporated, then add 1/3 cup of instant potato flakes, season with salt and pepper then combine until mixture is firm enough to hold together.
- Form the mixture int 8 balls of equal size.
- Pour enough canola oil in a nonstick skillet so it measures about 1 inch deep and heat the oil to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a wire rack to place the balls atop after frying.
- Add the flour to a shallow dish and coat each ball evenly, knocking off excess.
- Cook two or three quinoa cakes at a time in the hot oil until golden brown, turning as needed. About 5 minutes total.
- Place on a wire rack to drain. This will help to keep them crispy.
Recipe adapted from a recipe by: Bonnie S. Benwick