Mushroom Tofu Veggie Burgers
|1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil|
|2 cups mixed mushrooms, chopped|
|1/2 cup scallions, chopped|
|1 tbs fresh thyme leaves|
|6-8 tbs garlic, minced|
|1/2 cup rolled oats, toasted|
|3/4 cup tofu, drained and mashed|
|3/4 cups fresh bread crumbs|
|3/4 cup white cheddar cheese, shredded|
|1/2 cup cooked brown rice|
|1/4 cup chopped almonds, toasted|
|3 tbs fresh Italian parsley, chopped|
|1 egg white|
|6 hamburger buns|
|Lettuce and tomato for topping|
- In a non-stick skillet heat 2 tbs of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until browned.
- Add the scallions, thyme and garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the oats, cook and stir for about 2 minutes, then season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and let cool for 15 minutes.
- In a food processor combine the mushroom mixture, tofu, bread crumbs, 1/4 cup of the cheese, cooked rice, almonds, parsley, egg and egg whites.
- Pulse just until combined. The mixture should be slightly chunky.
- Shape the mixture into 6 patties.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining 2 tbs of olive oil over medium heat
- Cook the patties in batches for about 6 minutes or until golden brown and crisp on the outside, turning once.
- Transfer the patties to a baking sheet and top with remaining cheese and broil for about 1 minute or until the cheese is melted.
- Add burgers to buns and top with lettuce and tomato and the condiment of your choice.