|6 lbs of beef brisket, cut into 1 inch cubes|
|2 lbs of ground pork sausage|
|3 tbs olive oil|
|2 large onions, minced|
|3 cups strong coffee|
|10 cloves garlic, chopped|
|1 (28 oz) can of tomatoes, with juice|
|2 dried ancho chilies, seeded and chopped|
|1 cup beef stock|
|2 small cans of chipolte chilies in adobo sauce, chopped fine|
|2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped|
|2 squares of bitter sweet chocolate|
|2 (12 oz) cans of Mexican beer|
|2 (1 oz) shots of tequila|
|juice of 1 lime|
|1 (7 oz) can of salsa verde|
|3 tbs liquid smoke|
|1 tbs brown sugar|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|6 tbs chili powder|
|6 tbs ground cumin|
|8 scallions, sliced on a diagonal for garnish|
|2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend for garnish|
Beef brisket, ground sausage and smokey chipolte chilies along with the kick of Mexican beer and tequila. This recipe has a lot of ingredients, but the key is to prep in advance.
- Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan or stock pot on high heat.
- When oil is hot, add the cubed brisket and cook until browned, stirring occasionally.
- When the beef is browned, remove from the pot and set aside.
- Drain any liquid from the pot, then return to the stove and on medium high heat cook the pork sausage and chopped onions until sausage is cook and the onions are translucent.
- At this point, return the cubed beef to the pot along with all the remaining ingredients.
- Stir well, cover and simmer on low heat for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally, until the beef brisket is tender and chili has thickened.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with shredded cheese and sliced green onions.
- Serve with white rice if desired.