Thai Chicken Wrapped in Lettuce Leaves
|1 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into eights
|1 large boneless, skinless chicken thigh, cut into eights
|2 scallions, white and green parts, quartered
|1/2 white onion, quartered
|1 small can water chestnuts, drained and dried
|4 tbs fresh lemon juice
|3 tbs Thai fish sauce
|2 tbs chicken stock
|2 Thai or Serrano chilies, seeded and chopped
|2 tbs peanut oil
|black pepper to taste
|1 head Boston or butter lettuce, separated washed and dried
|fresh cilantro for garnish
|Slivered carrots for garnish
|Chopped peanuts for garnish
- In a food processor, mince separately, carrot, green onion, white onion, and water chestnuts.
- Add chicken to food processor, mince and remove to a separate bowl.
- Mix lemon juice, fish sauce, chicken stock and hot peppers.
- Stir half of the lemon mixture into the chicken and half into the carrots.
- In a wok or large skillet, heat oil on medium high and stir fry carrot mixture for 2-3 minutes until tender crisp.
- Add the chicken and stir fry 3 minutes or until cooked through.
- Taste for seasoning the add the black pepper and adjust if necessary. If you like it very spicy add more Thai or Serrano chilies.
- Arrange the lettuce leaves around the outside of a platter and spoon the chicken into the center and garnish with cilantro.
- Each diner should spoon chicken into a lettuce leaf, top with cilantro and wrap around the chicken.
- Recipe may be doubled or tripled.