Wild Mushroom Soup with Sherry
|1 lb assorted mushrooms, coarsely chopped|
|3 tbs butter|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1 tbs smoked paprika|
|3 tbs flour|
|3 cups beef broth|
|3 cups milk|
|2 egg yolks|
|1/2 cup sour cream|
|2-3 tbs dry sherry|
Paprika and sour cream are Hungarian touches in this wonderfully colored mushroom soup. A combination of wild mushrooms, egg yolks, butter and sherry make it very rich.
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan.
- Add the mushrooms and cook over medium heat until they are lightly browned, but not soft.
- Season with salt and pepper, then stir in the paprika.
- Sprinkle with flour and stir until it is well mixed.
- Add the broth gradually and cook, stirring until the soup thickens slightly.
- Add the milk and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if desired.
- Remove from the heat.
- Beat the egg yolks in a bowl, then add the sour cream and make a smooth mixture.
- Stir the mixture carefully into the soup and reheat it gently.
- Do not let it boil or the eggs will scramble.
- Stir in the sherry and serve.