Chinese Asparagus and Beef
|2 lbs asparagus|
|1/2 lb beef steak sliced thin across the grain|
|2 tbs soy sauce|
|1 tbs dry sherry|
|1 quarter sized knob fresh ginger, grated|
|peanut or vegetable oil|
|2 cloves garlic, crushed|
|1/2 cup chicken or beef stock|
|1 tbs fermented black beans (available at Asian markets)|
|pinch of sugar|
- Trim the tough ends from the asparagus, then cut on the diagonal into 1 inch pieces.
- Marinate the beef steak in the soy sauce, sherry and ginger for about 30 minutes.
- Place 1 tbs of oil in a hot wok or frying pan and add the drained meat. Stir fry for about 1 minute, then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Place a bit more oil in the wok and add the garlic and stir fry for about 30 seconds, then add the asparagus and stir fry for 3-4 minutes until almost done. They should still be crunchy.
- Return the beef back to the pan, then combine the sauce ingredients and add to the pan and stir until the sauce is well blended.
- Serve with white rice.