- 3 lbs chicken necks and backs
- 3 slices of ginger
- kosher salt to taste
Chinese chicken stock is much lighter than the traditional stock that most Americans are accustomed to. It can be used as a soup along with dumplings and vegetables or in most any way you can imagine.
- Place the chicken pieces in a large stock pot and cover completely with water, and bring to a boil.
- When scum begins to form on the water, turn off heat. Drain the pot completely and rinse the chicken pieces.
- Cover the chicken with fresh cold water, and the ginger and a little salt.
- Bring to a light boil, reduce heat, then simmer for 2 hours.
- Pour the stock through a cheese cloth lined wire strainer, allow stock to come to room temperature, then refrigerate or freeze and use as needed.
- Makes about 3 quarts.