Ginger Molasses Muffins
|2 sticks unsalted butter|
|1 cup sugar|
|1 cup molasses|
|2 tsp baking powder|
|1 cup butter milk|
|4 cups flour|
|3 tsp powdered ginger|
|1/2 tsp cinnamon|
|1/8 tsp ground allspice|
|1/2 cup raisins|
|1/2 cup chopped nuts. pecans or walnuts|
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add the molasses and beat well.
- In a small bowl, stir the baking soda into the buttermilk.
- When it begins to foam, stir into the batter.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, ginger, cinnamon and allspice.
- Gradually add to the batter and mix well.
- Stir in the raisins and nuts.
- Spoon the mixture into greased muffin tins filling 1/4 full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 18 to 20 minutes, until puffed up brown and springy to the touch.